Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I Love TV.....No.....Really......I Do.....

I am forever amazed at the amount of people who I come into contact with that do not watch television. They are a unique set in my opinion. I don't know what it's like not to have one. When my sister and I were growing up in Scarborough, that was the high light of our day. The first thing we did when we woke in the morning was turn on the television to watch our cartoons. I think that obsession comes from our Dad. He grew up in Toronto and had way more the luxuries than our Mom who grew up in a small northern Ontario town. To this day, most of the people where my Mom lived still just have the basic system for television. There are only two, maybe three channels depending on the weather. One channel was French the other English. If the President or the Prime Minister was on, you were screwed. Come to think of it, that held true for our upbringing as well. Our programs were forever interrupted by a special message from the President. At that point, my sister and I would just look at each other and then scatter off to find our colouring books or Barbie dolls. Television was a means to tell time. By the time our morning cartoon was over, we had to be outside waiting for the school bus. When we came home, it took one show for dinner to be complete. After dinner, it was four shows until bedtime. Then the real games began....
Please Mom, just ten more minutes
Please Mom, just until the next commercial break........
It was quite the magical box. Saturday morning cartoons were the ultimate. Now, when I see those shows, I can recognize them for the half hour commercial hocking toys that they really were, but I still loved them. Shows like Jem and the Holograms, G. I. Joe, Glow Worms, Read a Long Gang, The Care Bears........That list of programs we watched is longer than my attention span, which is impressive considering the hobbies I maintain. The game shows were a whole other addiction. Bumper Stumpers, Classic Concentration, Card Sharks, etc etc etc.....
Now look at the programs we have today. This is what started my line of thinking into this subject matter. There will be a whole bunch of series and seasons premiers these next few weeks that have me totally psyched. Fringe will air in the next few weeks. America's Next Top Model will start tomorrow. A new show called Glee has peaked my interest. I was in a chat forum the other day and everyone was talking about this other show that has me madly trying to locate the time and channel it will start, Vampire Diaries. While I was using one of the many torture devices at the gym, I saw that The Tudors will be on shortly. There is a never-ending amount of shows that I want to watch. It can be scary really, but those shows are the reason why I really like this time of year.

I can't think of a transition phrase, so I'll just blurt out the details of my week end.

My parents were visiting this week end. We had a great time. They were staying close by in their motor home. They had a wonderful spot. The National Geographic Channel was just outside their window.


It's a good thing for the squirrels that Mom does not let her cat out. Their population would decrease quickly if he had free reign of the place.

Well I'm off to bed. Today was surprisingly long. I hope you all enjoyed your long week ends. Take care everyone

No comments: