Saturday, May 17, 2008

No Pics, Just Words

I do not have any pictures to share. I have been in a froggin' mood. I was working diligently on the many pairs of socks I have on the go and I just did not like what is going on. So, I have taken them apart and I will begin fresh. I just think I'm a tad wore out. I will have lots of time to recuperate this long week end. I have no plans set in stone. I never do. I like to be a home-body. Hubby rented a few movies for the week-end: 27 Dresses (which we just finished watching, I have a story, remind me if I don't share it.) I'm Not There, ( a thing referring to Bob Dylan), and The Savages, (this one may be a scooch too close to home, another story sparked by the theme of this movie, again, remind me.)
While watching 27 Dresses, I thought of our wedding. It was literally a blur. I was all worried my parents would not be able to attend. They were living in Prince Edward Island at the time. It is a 22 hour drive away. That is a Canadian reference. We always refer to distance with increments of time. For example: How far away is Toronto? Oh, about 45 minutes. It's just the way we are. Anyway, it wasn't the distance I was worried about. My step father suffered a stroke of that summer and my parents were just not up to par. However, they persevered and arrived in style. I had a very short guest list. If I didn't feel the guilt, I would have just invited parents and grandparents and called it a day. Guilt is a powerful thing. I invited siblings, who were on strict orders to act their age and not their shoe size, and my Aunt and her boyfriend. I thought it would be nice for my parents to stay with them, seeing as it was my mom's sister. My parents had other ideas:
No, no, no. We will stay with yous. Your aunt's place is too cold.
I'm sure I can find some blankets you can take to help keep warm.
No, that's alright. We don't mind staying with you.
Well,..............alright then.
So my parents stayed with us, and yes, on our wedding night as well.
We were wed by the justice of the peace. Neither of us hold any strong religious ties. The minister was female. I chose her because a) I could pronounce her name. b) she reminded me of someone. Turns out, she married my mom and step father years ago. How wild is that?
We drove to city hall. We led in our truck, my parents and sister were in their car.
We arrived at city hall and my parents were no where to be seen. They were right behind us. I think they were caught up with too many red lights. I wasn't worried because they had been to this part of town before and knew the area quite well...........or so I thought.
We met with the minister. She asked if we were ready. Ummmm, nope, my parents aren't here yet. Not to worry, we can do a different type of ceremony. OK, no problem.
So we wait.
And wait.
And wait.
Oh dear.
Finally.
The parents arrive.
Our ceremony was a record breaking 10 minutes long.
I think I preferred that one as opposed to the one initially created.
We did have an awesome reception. It was at a restaurant downtown. Gorgeous setting. The menu was safe enough that everyone was able to eat and not complain about this that and the other thing.
We had a very quiet wedding night. My parents in the next room sort of put a damper on the festivities. I do recall my mom saying she didn't really want grandchildren.
Overall, it was nice. I loved my dress. I love my husband. I love my family and all their quirkiness. Life is good.
I hope you are all well. If I told this story before, forgive me. I blame the rye. :)
Have a good week end everyone.

No comments: